dual tone booster, dtb50 & dtb100
The ultimate no compromise, hand-wired, dual channel amps!
dual channels, each with its own tone controls (Treble, Mid, Bass)
dual tone shift switches
dual bright switches
With its pure tube and no compromise signal path the dtb, dual tone
booster (in both the two and four output tube configurations, dtb50 and
dtb100) could just be the ultimate hand wired, dual channel amps.
Adjectives that people use to describe the amps like sparkle, fullness,
compression, body, focused gain, smooth feel, and touch sensitivity have
all been designed in with the careful selection of components including
resistors, capacitors, transformers, chassis and tubes.
The two versions of the dtb (two and four output tubes) are
meticulously voiced and took over two years of tonal development before
they were finalized. The amps were built in collaboration with Jim
Weider, Tele player extraordinaire and known obsessive tone fanatic. The
main goals were to build hand-wired, tone to the bone channel switching
amps with two great souding channels, each with its own dedicated EQ
(Treble, Mid and Bass) that sounds and has the right feel for any
playing situation whether for recording, live or at-home playing. These
amps were put through their paces by Jim in both live and recording
situations and the development went on until he was more than satisfied!
Jim’s involvement was so deep that his signature is on the back panel.
Colby amps are built to the absolute highest quality standards and
are 100% hand-built with care. “My designs tend to have a lot of
controls but a few things were of paramount importance to the outcome;
the control panel had to be easy to understand and operate; nothing was
done if it would compromise tone in any way; and every feature had to be
For more details on the features and function, please download the owner’s manual.
Amp video clips:
Jim Weider and Mitch showing the dtb100 with 2×12 and dtb50 wtih 1×12
Lance Keltner showing the dtb100 with the 2×12
- Two channels with independent tone controls so you can dial in your sound for each channel
- Separate tone shift switches for each channel
- Separate bright switches for each channel
- Two boosts on channel 2 (full range and mid emphasis)
- Tube buffered FX loop with Send and Return level controls (forget
external loops! This loop is voiced specifically for the amp so that
your effects work perfectly with no compromise to your tone)
- Three way footswitch, with detachable and easily replaceable cables,
control Channel selection, Boost 1 and Boost 2 for five gig-ready tones
- Front panel LEDs so you always know which channel is selected
- Clean channel is full bodied and chimey and works perfectly with pedals
- OD channel goes from a bold, full bodied clean to articulate and focused gain, to mid boosted mean
- Two speaker outputs with 4 and 8 ohm selectable impedance (8 and 16 available by request)
- Available with two (dtb50) or four (dtb100) 6L6GC output tubes depending on your requirements and preferences
- Back panel bias jacks and trim control so you can easily keep the output tubes biased at the optimum setting as your tubes age
- Custom power and output transformers
- Optional half power switches so you can get power amp distortion and drive at lower levels
- All components selected for TONE!